Nureki (濡木) family name, Chimuo (痴夢男) first name, (1930-2013)
Chimuo Nureki had perhaps the longest and most varied history of bakushi. His reputation as a rope artist and career stretching over five decades earned him a worldwide following. Prior to his death, he was called "The greatest living...kinbaku master". Throughout his career, Nureki has been a prolific writer and his work often appeared in iconic Japanese SM magazines such as Kitan Club and Uramado. He was closely associated with the founder of Uramado and kinbaku legend, Kou Minomura. Nureki was also one of the few contemporary bakushi to have had personal contact with Seiu Ito. His writings included magazine articles, books, television and movie scripts as well as scripts written for live pink theater performances. Nureki also appeared in numerous videos and was an early performer in videos produced by Art Video. He was one of the featured rope artists in the Hiroki Ryuichi documentary, Bakushi.
Kinbakushi, Writer and Editor.
1930: Chimuo Nureki was born in Asakusa, Tokyo, and was the third generation of his family to be raised there.
1938(c): Watching female sumo wrestling left an indelible impression on the young Nureki.
1940: While a fifth grade elementary school student, Nureki saw a picture by Kashou Takabatake in which a boy was tied with his hands behind his back, and he became fascinated with pictures which appeared to show seppuku[※ 2].
1946: Nureki spoke with a kabuki troupe and enrolled in a jidogeki theatrical company[※ 5]. Nureki's first work was as an extra in a Toho movie co-starring Roppa Fukukawa and Ichirou Kagami[※ 6].
Kitan Club Period
1953(c): Nureki saw Seiu Ito while at a performance of Burned Alive at the Suzumoto Theater.
1954: Publication of the March issue of Kitan Club is suspended. Nureki published the content of Demon Sisters (illustrated by by Yagi Shizuo) as Fujio Maki, but there was a problem with release, and sale was prohibited four days later.
1955: Kitan Club resumed sales with the October issue under a new publisher, Tenseisya, which oversaw the magazine's cover design (the white cover period). Nureki wrote many of the stories in this issue.
1957 (Dec): The Pale Man was published in Uramado under the pen name Toyokichi IIda[※ 9]. After that, Nureki contributed to both Kitan Club and Uramado magazines. Later, he paid a visit to Toshiyuki Suma at Uramado's editorial office in Ekoda.
1958: Published Image of Bloodstained Kannon in the January issue under the pen name Toyokichi Iida and Bloody Marie in the May issue under the pen name Iku Fujimi.
1958: Nureki was commissioned by Suma to serialize Breasts From Hell in the May to September issues. This marked his switch to a professional writer.
1958: Nureki practiced "bondage play" alongside Suma. His managerial partner, Toshihiko Fukai, was a Shinjuku music hall dancer[※ 10].
1958 (December): Nureki's "White Toy" was the breakthrough prize winner for Kitan Club's 100th issue novel contest, and it was published under the pen name Fujio Maki on page 40 of the December issue.
1964: Uramado ceased publishing in January 1965 and Nureki moved on to Suspense Magazine.
1967: Wrote the screenplay for the serial television drama Sengoku Mushuku (Confirmation required).
1968: Nureki resumed contributing to Kitan Club.
1968: Around this time, Nureki wrote scripts for Troupe Flame, a pink theatrical company belonging to Mari Aoki and Yoko Mizusaki. A few of the scripts appeared in Suspense Magazine.
1969: Nureki and Suma leave Kubo Shoten.
1969: Wrote the script for the serial television drama Black Chamber. (Confirmation required).
1970: Beginning with the January issue, Nureki serialized Hell Hotel in Kitan Club under the name Iku Fujimi.
1982: Nureki begins to participate in video work.
1985 (December 27): Nureki and Akio Fuji play a leading role in opening the first meeting of Naomi Sugishita's Club. After two meetings, the club's name changes to The Beauty of Bondage Research Society (aka Kinbiken).
1989: Kinbiken News begins publication.
1992: The name Toyokazu IIda appears in Hiroshi Harada's Midori, an animated movie based on an original work by Suehiro Maruo (This could be a different person with the same name. Confirmation required.)
2005: Wrote a script for Asakusa's Mokuba-tei, entitled Namio's Sanshin Travelogue -- Ah, Nostalgic Okinawa and South Seas Collection. (Confirmation required).
2007: Nureki won the grand prize in the Fifth Annual Kita City Yasuo Uchida Literature Prize for Mystery for Tengu's Prank under the pen name Rokuroku Tabata[※ 20].
2008: Nureki made a guest appearance as Rokuroku Tabata in the Hana Musubi theatrical company's Spiraling Under.
2009: He also appeared in Hana Musubi's Hara Hara Bolero.
2010 (August 21): Performed a "paper puppet show" at Yokohama History Museum (as Toyokazu Iida. Puppets by Maako Sakura).
2010 (September 16): Hokutopia Theater Festival 2010 My Story theatrical company performs "Toyokazu Iida Recites the Underground River Show" for Hokutopia.
2013 (September 9): Nureki passes away on September 9th.
- Nureki appeared as an actor and not as a kinbakushi in early Art Video works such as Fangs of a Lewd Wolf and Sailor Suit Rope Slave.
- In his late teens to early twenties, Nureki was somewhat of a young left-wing literary enthusiast (Nureki's Chimuo's Chat Theater #113).
- Nureki reveres the author Choukitsu Kurumatani (Nureki's Chimuo's Chat Theater #114).
- Nureki is a member of Kaeru Club, a research group for the art of conversation which seeks to pass down traditional storytelling. He does public performances of picture board shows and silent movie narration. He has been blogging over the Internet since at least 2003. And with Hiromi Saotome and Rutsu Nakahara.
- Bondage Beauty, Bondage Pleasure (Kawade Shobo Shinsha, 1995)
- Japanese Bondage Photo History 1 (Co-authored with Masami Akita and Akio Fuji) (Jiyukokuminsha, 1996)
- True Stories of Bondage and Torment (Kawade Shobo Shinsha, 2001)
- Torment and Joy: A Private Sex Book (Kawade Shobo Shinsha, 2003)
- The Artists of Kitan Club (Kawade Shobo Shinsha, 2004)
- In and Around Kitan Club (Kawade Shobo Shinsha, 2006)
- Bondage - For as Long As I live (Kawade Shobo Shinsha, 2008)
A handmade pamphlet was produced around 1998.
- Bakushi (Directed by Ryuichi Hiroki. Co-starring Go Arisue, Haruki Yukimura, Hiromi Saotome, Norio Sugiura, Taeko Uzuki) (2007)
Video and DVD
(A countless number)
- The Kindhearted Fukagawas' Sweet Sake"[※ 24]
- "Toyo Kan-ichiro's SM document" (『豊幹一郎のSMドキュメント Part 2 How to Bondage』. VAN video, 1982)
- "Nureki Chimuo's Intro to Shibari No.1" (『濡木痴夢男の縛り方入門1』. Art Video, 1983)
- "Nureki Chimuo's Intro to Shibari No.2" (『濡木痴夢男の縛り方入門2』. Art Video, 1983)
- "Nureki Chimuo's Intro to Shibari No.3" (『濡木痴夢男の縛り方入門3』. Art Video, 1983)
- "Nureki Chimuo's Intro to Shibari No.4" (『濡木痴夢男の縛り方入門4』. Art Video, 1983)
- "Nureki Chimuo's Intro to Shibari No.5" (『濡木痴夢男の縛り方入門5』. Art Video, 1983)
- "Nureki School: Nureki Chimuo's New Introductory Guide for Shibari" (『濡木塾 I ：濡木痴夢男新縛り方教室』. Art Video, 1988)
- Kinbiken Video - Nureki Style Bondage Course N00: "Methods to Soften Rope and Most Basic Ushirode Shibari". Model: Satomi Fuji. (Fuji Planning, 199x.)
- 『緊美研ビデオ 濡木流縛り方講座 N00 「麻縄を柔らかくする方法・最も基本的な後ろ手縛り」』. モデル：藤さとみ. (不二企画, 199x) (Japanese)
- Kinbiken Video - Nureki Style Bondage Course N01: "X-Shape Chest Binding / Diamond Tie | Tortoise Shell Diamond Crotch Tie". Model: Hiromi Saotome. (Fuji Planning, 199x.)
- 『緊美研ビデオ 濡木流縛り方講座 N01 「胸縄Ⅹ字縛り／菱縄縛り|亀甲菱縄・股間掛け」』モデル：早乙女宏美 (不二企画, 199x) (Japanese)
- Kinbiken Video - Nureki Style Bondage Course N02: "Hands Extended on the Back Tie | Hands Behind Extended Suspension / From Rope Piled on the Beasts to Crotch Spreading Both Legs Suspension". Model: Ayano Katsuyagi. (Fuji Planning, 199x.)
- 『緊美研ビデオ 濡木流縛り方講座 N02 「後手直伸縛り|後ろ手直伸・つり上げ縛り／乳房盛り上げ縄から股裂き両足吊りまで」』(不二企画, 199x)(モデル：桂木綾乃)
- 『緊美研ビデオ 濡木流縛り方講座 N03 「柱を利用した四ツ菱縛り|四ツ菱]]股縄」「超巨乳・乳房十文字縛り|乳房タテ割り縛り」』(不二企画, 199x)(モデル：藤さとみ、近江亜紀)
- 『緊美研ビデオ 濡木流縛り方講座 N04「やさしく美しい浴衣後ろ手」「長襦袢・菱縄高手小手縛り」』(不二企画, 199x)(モデル：山口香子、春原悠理)
- 『緊美研ビデオ 濡木流縛り方講座 N05「一本縄による海老縛り」』(不二企画, 199x)(モデル：西尾ゆきほ)
- 『緊美研ビデオ 濡木流縛り方講座 N06「首縄直結・股縄掛け」』(不二企画, 199x)(モデル：寿きたの)
- 『緊美研ビデオ 濡木流縛り方講座 N07「鉄砲縛りと棕櫚縄高手小手」「股縄から後ろ手縛りへ」』(不二企画, 199x)(モデル：神田つばき、山下由美)
- 『緊美研ビデオ 濡木流縛り方講座 N08 「柱を利用した片脚吊り／M字開脚縛り|椅子上開脚縛りと柱後ろ抱き股縄掛け」』(不二企画, 199x)(モデル：佐藤まゆみ)
- 『緊美研ビデオ 濡木流縛り方講座 N09 「「両腕直伸縛りから海老責めへ」「高手小手・乳房絞り縄」』(不二企画, 199x)(モデル：佐藤由女、藤さとみ)
- 『緊美研ビデオ 濡木流縛り方講座 N10 「「本格背面合掌縛り|後ろ手合掌・強烈鉄砲縛り」「直立不動一本縛り|足首膝下縄・全身屈曲縛り」』(不二企画, 199x)(モデル：高見ゆめか、小室芹奈)
- 『秘技伝授 緊縛入門 （”Initiation of secret technique, introductory class for Shibari")』(SOD Create, 2001)
- Bondage Beauty series (Fuji Planning, VHS 1980s)
- Rope World 1-8 series (Cinemagic, 1989-)
- New Rope World 1-10 series (Cinemagic, 199x-1996)
- Bondage Performance (Cinemagic, 1994)
- Nureki School 2: Nureki Chimuo's New How-to-Tie Course (AVA Corporation, 1995)
- New Bondage Performance (Cinemagic, 1996)
- Bakushi (Geneon Universal Entertainment, 20080
- Nureki Chimuo's Treasured Bondage Collection Series 1 "Greatest Desire" (Fuji Planning, 2010)
- Introduction on How to Tie (Kan-ichiro Yutaka. SM Kitan, August 1979 to January 1980)
- How to Tie Course (Kan-ichiro Yutaka. SM Collector, January 1982 to April 1984)
- How to Tie Course - Arm Binding and Partial Suspension (Chimuo Nureki. Domina Club, 1991)
- My Way of Tying: Bondage Fauve (Chimuo Nureki. M Club, 1992. No.1)
- Master "K". The Beauty of Kinbaku. Los Angeles: King Cat Ink, 2008. Print.
- Nureki, Chimuo. Nureki Chimuo's Chat Theater. Web.
- Nureki, Chimuo. The Artists of Kitan Club. Tokyo: Kawade Shobo, 2004. Print.
- Nakahara, Rutsu. Another Face of Chimuo Nureki. Bondage - For As Long As I Live (Afterward). Tokyo: Kawade Shobo, 2008. Print.
- Nureki, Chimuo. Nureki Chimuo's Kinbaku Private Talks. Web.
- Sunohara, Yuuri. Yuuri Sunohara's Blog - SELFISH. Web.
- Kanji Inada is a group name used for collaborations between Chimuo Nureki (bondage), Katsuya Kashii (cameraman) and Akio Fuji (assistant cameraman). They performed magazine work under the name Yutaka Editorial Office. It is the predecessor to Kinbiken (from The History of Japanese Bondage Photography)., etc..
- Nureki lived with his parents and a younger brother and sister in a two-story wooden house in Ryuusenjichou in Asakusa. He read the authors Edogawa Ranpo, Kyuusaku Yumeno, Udaru Oshita, Saburou Kouga, Juuza Unno and Junichirou Tanizaki repeatedly.
- Nureki received guidance from Ichirou Madokoro, a member of Taiheiyogakai.
- Based at a remodeled playhouse near Kameari Station. The 'Hanagata Kabuki Troupe had once been located at a theater in Honjo Midoricho, but was re-established in Kameari as Shinsei Hanagata Kabuki (Leaders: Tsuruzou Kantou and Takewaka Kantou) after evacuating Honjo Midoricho due to the destruction caused by aerial bombing.
- The troupe isn't specified, but it is thought to be Gekidan Toudou, which was active between 1928 and 1980.
- "I remember it seemed to have a title like If My Song Had Wings." The actual work is unconfirmed. One possibility is My Father (Toyotarou, 1946).
- Rutsu Nakahara places it with a Japanese PR magazine in the afterward to Nureki's Bondage - For As Long As I Live.
- He had really wanted it to be illustrated by Reiko Kita, but Toshiyuki Suma had already left the magazine by that time. Mineko Tsuzuki illustrated it instead.
- "Written on a train returning to Tokyo" (Bondage - For As Long As I Live (Afterward) by Rutsu Nakahara)
- "Sometimes Fukai also participated in 'bondage play' himself." (Chat Theater #20)
- He accompanied Toshiyuki Suma on a visit to Mr. Dan's home. He was invited out several times to a bar in either Ginza or Shinbashi, but when he realized Dan had no interest in rope, he declined Suma's invitations.
- A contest said to have been "commissioned by Yoshida." Artwork by Takashi Shima was offered, but Nureki declined and used his own collage.
- Nureki delayed his answer, and Minoru Yoshida later suspended the plan saying it was too costly.
- In Kinbaku Private Talks #61, Nureki says he succeeded Suma in 1960.
- She is reported to be the mama of the bar, Reiko, behind Miyamasuzaka in Shinjuku.
- Nureki took over as Uramado's editor-in-chief one month later. Afterwards, Suma continued to tie.
- According to Nureki, until that point, Yagi hadn't seen a real live bound woman. This took place at Chiharu, an inn and restaurant in Udagawacho in Shibuya. "This was the first time he tied a real woman with rope."
- Held on Monday evenings. The model is Yuuri Sunohara.
- Won on the theme of his favorite book, Seiu Ito's Unofficial History of the Customs of Edo and Tokyo.
- This work can be read in Yasuo Uchida's First Stories - Yasuo Uchida & Tokyo and Kita City's Spirited Mystery Selection (Jitsugyo no Nihon Sha, Ltd., 2008)
- Meeting #163 took place on May 10th, #164 on July 12, and #165 on September 27. Fuyuki Sawado's Greatest Desire was photographed on June 9.
- Planning: Rutsu Nakahara. Director: Sachi Yamanouchi. Starring: Fuyuki Sawado, Shion Kasumi, Chimuo Nureki. Photography: Shizu Yamaga. Still Photography. Kei. It will appear in the September-November 2010 issues of Mania Club magazine. Master "K" was an invited guest at the photo session.
- From Manbou Museum.
- Nureki's work won a prize at a national entertainment hall sponsored competition.